Wednesday, October 3, 2007

At the Threshold

These thin places were threshold places --
a border or frontier place
where two worlds meet
and where one has the possibility of
communicating with the other."
-- Peter Gomes


Eric's father Don is at the threshold. A friend told me recently that our family is in an enviable position, because we are approaching that holy time, that sacred space that only appears at the beginnings and endings of life in this realm. It is true that in these thin places we can almost feel the brush of angel's wings. We know we are in the presence of the Holy one.

And yet, we also live with the dreadful knowledge that we will never hear Don's wonderful voice again.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not let them be afraid." ~Jesus

1 comment:

owen andrew said...

you and your family are in my prayers....we love you...

r,c,o,& j