Thursday, August 21, 2008

Blogger Name That Tune!

I love this! A friend of a friend came up with this and posted his on Facebook - but I thought I'd try it here, too ... try it out, write your guesses in a comment to me, then go post your own list!

This is my entire iTunes library on song random. My catalog's pretty weird, so who knows how this will shape up. Still, it's worth a shot. Winner (most correct) gets a pat on the back. No cheating!

Step 1: Put your music player on random.
Step 2: Post the first line (or 2) from the first 30 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.
Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from.
Step 4: Post the Song Title and Artist when someone guesses correctly.

1. Hey, Man! Don't look so scared, you know I'm only testing you out
2. Pretty soon you'll be able to remember her, lying in the garden singing
3. My friend the Communist holds meetings in his RV
4. From father to son the blood runs thin Red Hill Mining Town U2 (Justin Rimbo)
5. Shut it down and call this road a day
6. I lie awake so often at night, With something to read or something to write
7. I think I found the recipe for creativity
8. Where you are, is where I wanna be, and through your eyes, all the things I wanna see
9. Last night the moon was full, and last night it all stood still
10. I have a feeling, it's a feeling I'm concealing, I don't know why (hint: this is the singer's little introductory riff before launching into an old standard)
11. Man it's a hot one, like seven inches from the midday sun Smooth Santana featuring Rob Thomas (Justin Rimbo)
12. Hold me down to anything, anything that you see; I should walk away right now
13. Home is where I wanna be, pick me up and turn me around (bonus points if you can name the original artist, and guess which artist is covering this on my iPod!)
14. Not everyone in New York would pay to see Andrew Lloyd Webber
15. Jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle bell rock Jingle bells swing and ... (Yup, pretty much every time I put my iPod on random, I get Christmas music! Yippee! Take a stab at what artist this might be ... )
16. Seven days was all she wrote, a kind of ultimatum note
17. Light it up, baby, light up that fire. I don't know what's gonna save me from the cold night.
18. Here we go again, another round of blues
19. In the middle of the night I'm growing secrets
20. I just can't leave it alone, I've got to sing a song of my redemption
21. What we are and what we were once are not far estranged
22. Heaven, I'm in heaven, and my heart beats so that I can hardly speak Cheek to Cheek Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong (Big Jon Wood)
23. We don't eat in no white restaurants, we eat in the car
24. Occurred to me the other day, you've been gone now a couple years Goodbye Patty Griffin (Big Jon Wood)
25. As I walk away, I look over my shoulder to see what I'm leaving behind
26. Here we are again, sublime synchronicity, finally got you back to me
27. You will lose your baby teeth; at times you'll lose your faith in me
28. Hosanna! Come and deliver, come and deliver your people from death
29. I've been feeling kind of restless, I've been feeling out of place
30. You've got the cool water when the fever runs high Something So Right Paul Simon (Justin Rimbo) aaand Jabonzie-Ass gets the bonus! Annie Lennox

p.s. even though I have 1000s of songs on my iPod, this random list of 30 generated duplicate artists 5 times! (One got three songs!)

3 comments:

Diane Wood Sponheim said...

Justin Rimbo guessed ...
4. Red Hill Mining Town - U2
11. Santana feat. Matchbox 20 guy - Smooth
15. I won't even try!
30. I know the original is Something So Right by Paul Simon (one of my favorite songs!) but I couldn't say who covers it.

Jon Wood guessed:
22. Dancing Cheek to Cheek - Ella Ftizgerald
24. Goodbye - Patty Griffin
30. That has to be Annie Lennox's cover!
aaaand a guess... is #10 something like Am I Blue by Ella?

I am surprised at how many of these do not register in the least!!

Jaelyn said...

What is song #28? Hosanna... called?

Diane Wood Sponheim said...

@Casey ... Sorry, this blog is pretty inactive these days... The song is called Hosanna, and it's by Ray Makeever, from his CD "Dancing at the Harvest" which you can order through Augsburg Fortress publishing. More info here: http://www.bfjmusic.com/indiv-products.html